As I noted in this previous post, I am the new Chair of the American Bar Association (“ABA”), General Practice, Solo and Small Firm’s Division, Agriculture Law Committee. You can join the Committee and the Discussion List here. I have restructured the subcommittees as follows:
1. Ag ADR: mediation, arbitration
2. Ag Estate/Succession Planning, Family Law, and Taxation: estate planning,succession planning, probate, tax law, pet trusts, prenuptial/postnuptial agreements, divorces, same-sex marriage
3. Ag Environmental Law & Water Law: water, air, hazardous materials, climate change, conservation, pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, endangered species, biodiversity, livestock grazing, fertilizers
4. Ag Policy: Farm Bill, legislative/lobbying services, domestic food security/insecurity, rural development, subsidies, federal budget, agriculture education, minorities in agriculture
5. Agri-business Law: agriculture lending/finance, business structures/formations, not-for-profit law, secured transactions, commercial litigation, ag cooperatives, ag sales, ag bankruptcy (Chapter 12)
6. Food/Ag Employment & Labor Law: employment law, wage & hour, child labor law
7. Food/Ag Grant Writing: state and federal level
8. Food/Ag Insurance: crop insurance, livestock insurance, environmental insurance, disaster insurance
9. Food/Ag Intellectual Property: copyrights, trademarks, patents
10. Food/Ag Property & Land Use Law: real estate transactions, eminent domain, easements, grain storage, livestock grazing permits, landlord-tenant law, foreclosure, agri-tourism/agri-tainment, energy law
11. Food Law & Policy: food safety, food labeling, food permits, food product liability, nutrition programs
12. International Food/Ag Law & Policy: international trade, customs, immigration, international business transactions, United Nations, food security/insecurity in lesser developed nations, comparative food/ag law
13. Production Agriculture & Aquaculture: equine law, biotechnology, Right to Farm, livestock animal cruelty, livestock trespass, check-off programs, local agriculture, urban agriculture, organic agriculture, specialty crops, biosecurity, livestock space/confinement, fiber production, leather
As you can see from the above list, the subcommittees touch upon nearly every area of agriculture law. I am very excited about the future of the Committee.
Please email me at email@example.com if you are interested in joining (or chairing) any of the above subcommittees. You must be a paid member of the ABA General Practice, Solo, and Small Firm Division in order to join the Agriculture Law Committee or any of the above subcommittees.