After the seminal case of the Marriage of Enders, in 750 ILCS 503(n), Illinois law established the allocation of pet responsibility in divorces. Here are a few of the factors that a court may consider:
- Who owns the companion animal;
- Who pays for the companion animal’s needs;
- Who takes care of the companion animal’s daily needs;
- Who walks/plays with the companion animal;
- Who takes the companion animal to veterinarian appointments;
- Each party’s relationship with the companion animal; and
- The child(ren)’s relationship with the companion animal(s).
"This blog is for informational purposes only and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is recommended that you speak to an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction before relying on the information in this blog."