New York Office535 Fifth Avenue, 4th floor
New York, NY 10017
Office: (212) 427-2049
Fax: (212) 202-6077
Skype: Cari.Rincker
Illinois Offices301 N. Neil Street, Suite 400
Champaign, IL 61820
Office: (217) 531-2179
Fax: (217) 531-2211
229 E Main Street
Shelbyville, IL 62565
Office: (217) 774-1373

Overview of the US Department of Interior with Agriculture

I’m currently conducting a blog series where each week I give a brief overview of the responsibilities of a government agency regulating our food and agriculture system.  I think it’s a helpful reminder for everyone on just how complex our regulatory system really is.  It’s a game of Who’s Who for government players in the U.S. food and agriculture economy.

I took this photograph in Montana at a cattle branding when I interned for the American Simmental Association

The U.S. Department of the Interior is a Cabinet-level agency, like the USDA, that also regulates the food and agriculture industry. Organizationally, there are five assistant secretaries managing the following bureaus:

Notably, the Branch of Agriculture and Rangeland Development within the Bureau of Indian Affairs assists with farm and range planning, rangeland improvements and protection, collection of inventory information on, pasture leases and grazing permits, and manages agriculture extension on our Indian reservations.

The Bureau of Land Management (“BLM”) plays its most recognized role in the livestock industry with its issuance of livestock grazing permits on approximately 155 million acres of public lands in our western rangelands.  In way of history, Congress passed the Taylor Grazing Act of 1934 during the era of homesteading in the West.  The Taylor Grazing Act created grazing districts for ranchers and regulated its use to prevent damage to the natural resources. The federal grazing program is available in 16 Western states and fees are calculated on an animal unit month (“AUM”).  Qualified ranchers must apply for a grazing permit to the BLM.

"This blog is for informational purposes only and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is recommended that you speak to an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction before relying on the information in this blog."

Leave a Reply

Note: Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *