Required Documentation for a “Stand Alone” Bonded Winery

Rincker Law Wine & Vineyard Law Leave a Comment

This presentation on wine and vineyard law was given to the National Business Institute (NBI) last fall.  Below is an except from the presentation’s materials found here.  


Under federal law, each type of winery has its own set of documents that must be submitted to the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (“TTB”) for a permit to operate a winery. A Stand Alone Bonded Winery is a brick and mortar-type establishment. This type of operation is the typical commercial “winery” that produces and stores its own wine. To become a bonded wine premise, one must first establish the premises, obtain a bond, and receive permission from the TTB. (The bond is basically an insurance policy that will cover excise tax liability due to the federal government.)

Red wine bottle, corks and corkscrew over wooden table background. Top view with copy space
The documents requires to be filed with the TTB to become a “stand alone” bonded winery are:

1) Application for Basic Permit;
2) Application to Establish and Operate a Wine Premises;
3) Wine Bond (generally in the amount of $1,000 for smaller wineries;
4) Environmental/Water Quality information;
5) Signing Authority or Power of Attorney;
6) Personnel Questionnaires for Owners/Officers/Directors; and
7) Other supporting documentation.

Share this Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *