New York Office535 Fifth Avenue, 4th floor
New York, NY 10017
Office: (212) 427-2049
Fax: (212) 202-6077
Skype: Cari.Rincker
Illinois Offices301 N. Neil Street, Suite 400
Champaign, IL 61820
Office: (217) 531-2179
Fax: (217) 531-2211
229 E Main Street
Shelbyville, IL 62565
Office: (217) 774-1373

Ask Cari: What is the Wine Label Approval Requirements and Process by the Food and Drug Administration?

The Food and Drug Administration does not regulate labeling for wine containing over 7% of alcohol.  The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (“TTB”) regulates labeling.  However, foreign alcohol manufacturers must register with the FDA per the FDA Food Facility Registration Regulation.

Regarding the FDA, when importing into the United States, commercial imports of all food and beverages (including wine) require filing “Prior Notice” with the FDA.  They must register with the FDA before goods are admitted to the United States.  To file Prior Notice, go to  Prior Notice was instituted in 2003 in response to the Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002.  The Prior Notice can be submitted through the Prior Notice System Interface (“PNSI”).

"This blog is for informational purposes only and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is recommended that you speak to an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction before relying on the information in this blog."

Leave a Reply

Note: Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *